Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eye Doctor Adventures

Have you ever had a moment where you suddenly feel your smart brain is no longer smart? Maybe for an instant. Maybe self inflicted. Or inflicted by another.

The eye doctor is the last, inflicted stupidity by another. The doctor begins with HUGE letters to make you feel nice and secure about everything, but slowly you get to those letters that I can't imagine any human being being able to see! No matter how hard I work to see those little tiny letters that flash up, there is NO way I am EVER going to be able to tell what they are. It is really a cruel visit.

I thought that today as I visited the eye doctor. (a way overdue trip. I've procrastinated down to the last pair of contacts!) The doc flashes the giant letters and I feel good. Progressively the letters get smaller and smaller until they look like little bugs on the wall. I begin to say random letters because I have NO idea what those tiny letters say. The "D", "O" and "C" are all becoming way too similar. And is that an "F" or a "P" or does it have another bump on it making it possibly a "B". My life is hard.

What I really want to know is what the doctor is thinking as I spit out the letters that are clearly not even close, or better yet just give them the only ones I know, usually the last one. If I was the doctor, I'd be tempted to laugh in my head while the patient tried to come up with the letters. Really....I am positive I really butchered some of those poor letters. Maybe during the many exams they've done it doesn't become as humorous! I still think I'd have to chuckle a little bit at patients like me.

I even inquired as to how bad I was doing, or how small a letter some could people really read. The doctor didn't seem all that entertained....so much for striking up a fun conversation. Maybe next time.

Oh, and my prescription is the same, so I guess I passed the test. Woot Woot.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You are so funny Jamie! Seriously!

Halsey said...

HAhahaha! I loved this post. Those eye doctors just don't seem to have a sense of humor. Or friendliness. I saw mine in Shopko last week and smiled and he wasn't even phased.